Saturday, February 26, 2011

I'm There For You Man

On Monday of this past week it was actually sunny, with no rain in the forecast and a high of around 53. I know that sounds cold to most people, but since the rest of the week's temperatures were suppose to be in the 30's with some snow showers thrown in there, we were pretty excited. We have been couped up inside way too often lately from weather and my work. So, Monday morning I got my work all done in the AM so we could head out to a park and enjoy the chilly sunshine later in the day. I am so glad we got out! The boys had a GREAT time. We went to Magnolia Park- definitely one of our favorites. It has little short slides for the little guys, medium slides for the slightly more daring child, and a huge tall slide for the adventurer. There are also swings, spinny things, grass, other fun equipment that I have no idea what they are named, and it even has a water area for the summer time.

Jackson has always been my more cautious child. Baron- he's always been one to throw caution to the wind. Jackson really wanted to go down the big huge tall slide (as he calls it). It took him a few moments at the top to take some deep breaths and give the whole, "It's a little scary" evaluation to me as I stood at the bottom giving him my encouragement. But he finally just went for it... and of course loved it. His "scared out of my pants" face quickly turned into a huge grin which resulted in a desire to go down it over and over again for the next 30 minutes straight. I should add in that Jackson actually has been down that slide plenty before. But when you live in Oregon and have to therefore go months in between park visits, it's quite easy to forget where you left off in your previous slide adventure levels.

Right after Jackson went down that first time, I looked back up to the top, and there is Baby Bear, huge grin and all, sitting at the top, yelling for me to say, "On your mark, get set, go!" I smiled, gave him the chant, and away he flew down the slide without a moments hesitation. He also loved it and wanted to go again, over and over. How can my children be so different?? I love it though- keeps me guessing.

The best part however, was a little while later, after Baron decided to head over to the swings. I was sitting there pushing him and look over to see Jackson ready for another trip down the slide. I yelled out my obligatory, "On you mark, get set, go!" from across the playground (does anyone else's kids LOVE for you to say this for everything they do? Mine are currently obsessed with races and competitions), and away Jackson flew down the slide once again. Bear had been watching this too. Upon Jackson hitting bark dust on his dismount, Bear yelled out in his cute, little brother voice,

"Good Job, Jackson!"

To which Jackson yelled back from across the playground, "Thanks Bear!"

And ended with Baron yelling, "Your Welcome!"



I love those two. I love that they already encourage and support each other.... most of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment